The cool-roof coating is one of the most popular types of coatings for roofs. However, not all roofs can have a cool-roof coating, so if you want to find out if your roof is suitable for it, then read on.
The cool-roof coating is a reflecting coating made of water-based acrylic elastomers. You can apply this coating using a roller. The coating is installed on low-slope roofing materials such as asphalt, metal, or single-ply membranes. You need to apply a primer on some underlying materials before applying the reflective coating to ensure that the material gets a proper adhesion. If you want to install a cool roof coating on the roof of your house, then the first thing you need to do is understand the types of coatings available.
You need to look for a coating, which has an Energy Star rating. Then, you need to prepare your roof for the application. Make sure to clean the underlying roofing materials before applying the coating because the coating will never stick to dirty roofs. The coating should not be applied to repair a damaged roof, but to delay the damage. Here is what you need to do to install a cool-roof coating in a proper manner:
- Clean all the debris, leaves, and loose shingles.
- Wash the roof with a water/tri-sodium phosphate solution.
- Check the joints around the pipe flashing roof drains and if required, reinforce them.
- Repair all the blisters and cracks.
- For metal roofing, sand, and repair all the areas covered with rust.
- Prime uncoated galvanized iron.
If you think that this is way too much to ask from you, then you should consult a roofer to apply a cool-roof coating on the roof of your house.