Antioxidants are compounds that naturally help your body deal with excessive amounts of free radicals. These are unstable molecules that can cause cell damage in our bodies and a probable cause of most chronic medical conditions today.
Antioxidants come to our body's defense because:
1. Natural antioxidants when fresh foods such as beets, fruits, green leafy vegetables have a beneficial effect, but studies have shown that adding antioxidants with artificial compounds can negate many of the benefits of exercise. There are many companies that also provide the top beetroot supplements online.
2. Stable molecules have a balanced number of electrons. When they lose electrons, they become unstable and can damage other cells. Antioxidants are able to replace the lost electrons by neutralizing the molecule and then redistributing the molecule itself to keep it stable.
3. Free radicals try to steal molecules from other cells to restore balance, to usually create other free radicals that can start a chain reaction.
4. Exercise or strenuous activity causes the formation of free radicals. When athletes eat foods high in antioxidants, these free radicals can be neutralized.
5. Athletes who eat foods high in vitamins C and E, which are among the most powerful antioxidants, find that they recover faster than those who don't, so they can return to exercise more quickly.
6. During exercise, ROS (reactive oxygen species) are produced by skeletal muscles, which are a normal part of the body's strengthening system. The natural antioxidants in whole foods can aid this process and aid recovery.
7. Eating a diet rich in antioxidants will help reduce the oxidative stress inherent in all physical activity.